Columbus Day Hike and Leaf Gathering
Today we were supposed to spend the day doing homey things, like cleaning out the garage so I can use it again. You know, important things like that. Well, Chris ended up having to work anyway (he has the govt holidays off, being a govt worker and all) then he was heading out to see a movie with some work buddies (Zombieland, so don't feel too bad for me that I'm here with the kids while he's out having fun). Since I wasn't super keen on cleaning out the garage alone, while he had fun watching people getting eaten by zombies, I decided to join up with Amanda and Amy and their packs of children. We had a delightful outing, searching out pretty leaves to bring home and identify and use in our crafts.























Our trail options
Amy, showing the trails to the kids
For some reason, my kids can't just do a normal group picture
Take 2....
Our trail crossed a small stream. The kids loved it and had it not been just 50*, I might have been a little more tolerant of their poking at it.
Amy brought along a tree identification book. So, every time we found a leaf of interest, we stopped to try and id it.
I finally told the kids they had to stay away from the water and up on the trail. So, they decided to hang on the bridge railing and throw leaves in instead. I love how Byron's Darth Vadar hat is on backwards and it looks like he's looking at me.
Byron loved the numbered sign posts. He would stop, draw my attention to them and trace the number. This one was 3.
We saw some neat vegetation and bugs, too.
Jo, examining some weeds
We had a bridge to cross, but Byron was a little scared to cross at first. He didn't like the cracks in the boards.
Grace and Isaiah took a little walk down the stream and Gracie was talking Isaiah's ear off the whole time.
Our little group
Back row l-r: Grace, Isaiah, Nate, Ruth, Gabriel
Front row l-r: Jo, Moriah, Byron, Andrew, David
Back row l-r: Grace, Isaiah, Nate, Ruth, Gabriel
Front row l-r: Jo, Moriah, Byron, Andrew, David
Crossing the boardwalk into the bog. Ruth was really excited to see the bog. We had read books in the past about bog mummies and now she was going to see what a bog looked like.
We saw several of these, but I don't know what they are. I made a small attempt to look it up on the internet but was unsuccessful. Anyone else know?
Update: I think Celia has correctly identified the caterpillar! It's the Spotted Apatelodes. Thanks, Celia! I was pretty sure you're get it for me! :)
Update: I think Celia has correctly identified the caterpillar! It's the Spotted Apatelodes. Thanks, Celia! I was pretty sure you're get it for me! :)
Our walk is almost done
I thought this tree was pretty cool-it looked twisted
The cattails were nearly done. I think they're so cool.
There was a little garden at the end. The kids got a kick out of "the guy that spits water".
Byron was mesmerized.
Mo was walking on the wall of the garden sing-songing "get down, get down". I wonder if it was in anticipation?
Grace pointed to the sunflower and said "Woah! That's a huge dandelion!" That girl cracks me up.
Who would have thought a boy with so little body fat could have so many wrinkles.
Byron said "I can see you, Mama!"
Comments
For the caterpillar ID, how about a Spotted Apatelodes
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/america/popups/picture86.htm