3 Down and 1 on the Way

3 kids down with strep throat. Or allegedly anyway. Ruth started it with a sudden onset of high fever, excruciating sore throat and much misery on Saturday last. We hit the Stat Care that evening and left with a probable diagnosis of Strep Throat. I say probable, because she wasn't actually tested for it. Her history of having it along with the exact same symptoms led the doc to just go ahead and and send us out for a prescription. Four days of misery later, Grace complains of a sore throat. Real sore. So, I wait 25 minutes on hold for an appointment with our longsuffering pediatrician. By this time, David is going down hill, too, but they only have 1 time slot. So, Grace won the coin toss. I take her in and she is.acting.just.fine. Punk. That always seems to happen to me. Then, I feel like a dork for being there. Especially when they are obviously chock full of sick kids.

I should back up to say, that the rooms aren't real big and I usually have all the kids along. This creates some distress because there are two chairs for 3-4 kids. Well, the well kids got the chairs (Ruth and Byron) and the sick kids sat on the exam table. David promptly laid down and didn't move until the pediatrician entered the room 20 minutes later. I joked with her that the wrong kid won the coin toss for the open slot. She looked at David and said "I'll squeeze him in." A thorough exam (especially for David since he seems to get hit so hard and between strep and pneumonia in the last 6 months, she really took her time on him) revealed she was pretty sure it was viral. They weren't presenting with enough symptoms to test for flu, and did not appear to have strep either. To be safe, she went ahead and tested Gracie since she was presenting with a sore throat. She said the lab would test it around 3pm. So, we left, assuming it was no big deal.

The day wore on and Grace went down hill again. David continued to worsen. At 3:30, I got the call that Grace was positive for strep. Guess that answers for sure that question about Ruth. I call Chris to pick up the script and then get to thinking. (scary, I know) The last time David had strep, he did not present with the typical symptoms. So, I call the pediatrician back to see if he should be tested as well. Unfortunately, our ped is gone for the day, so the message is given to the on-call guy. I get a call at 5:30-David's prescription was faxed to our pharmacy. Given everything going on, his atypical strep symptoms before, they're going to assume he's got it, too. Fortunately, Chris left work late and I caught him to let him know to pick up 2 now.

The good news in all this? Giant Eagle has a list of FREE prescriptions and Grace and David's were on it!

The bad news? My throat is starting to hurt....

Comments

Catherine said…
Oh Momma, the doc should just prescribe the family pac for you. Feel better soon.

Popular Posts