A Trip to Akron

Yesterday, we had a jam-packed day. Ruth had a class at the zoo, scheduled long ago and so, I went ahead and scheduled David's cardiology visit for the same day. Ruth's class was at 1:30 and David's cardio was at 10. It was to give us plenty of time for his checkup, lunch and then the zoo. Chris took the day off to help out and enjoy the fun. I had planned to just do the day alone, but when I read the letter from the Cardiologist, they didn't want other kids there. So, I had to make other arrangements. (And, before you think I'm crazy for taking all the kids to doctors' visits....honestly...I do it most of the time!) Since the girls had schoolwork to do, I took the three other kids while Chris took David to his appointment. Now, these appointments do take quite some time. I usually alot 90 minutes minimum. Fortunately for us, it was a beautiful day and and the hospital (where the cardiologist is) has a lovely playground. The girls got their work done first, at the tables while Byron played and then they were able to join him when they finished.

Hanging on the slide

Byron really had fun on the slides-they were a bit smaller and more tame than ours at home.

Climbing through the holes

Hiding under the slide

We played a rousing game of hide and seek. Byron would just stay put, but Grace would try to make a get away to hide again.

It did take David about 90 minutes to complete his checkup, but the good news is, there is no degeneration of the mitral valve, so we are good for another year. Yeah! I always like hearing that. We decided to eat at the hospital cafeteria since the food isn't half bad and the prices are way better than the zoo. The zoo was only a few minutes (like 2) from the hospital, so we had plenty of time to eat and get to the zoo in time for Ruth's class. This time, her class was on Ecosystems. She told me later that it was just an ok class. She didn't learn too many new things, so she was disappointed. While she was in class (2hrs) Chris, the kids and I and Amanda and her kids walked about the zoo. It was sunny and warm-great weather for trekking around the zoo.


How much do you weigh? A lion? A bear? A moose? Not even a lion. Daddy! Come help us!

And we hit lion! Mama! Come help us! Ahhhh....no thanks.

Buds-Isaiah and Grace

The inevitable dinosaur picture-David being a Ceratosaurus and Byron being a ....well, I'm not sure. Maybe a ferocious T-Rex

Grace and David trying to span the eagle

Walking the highwire (l-r David, Byron, Jo, Isaiah, Grace) By this time, Byron was getting really tired (well, David, too) and Byron stopped on the walk and wouldn't move. So, you'll notice David's elbow in Byron's back. I took the picture and then had to break up a fight. I can't be sure, but I think they go out of their way to antagonize each other sometimes.

Byron and Humboldt Penguin
The kids were really tired by the time we left the zoo. It was about 3:40 in the afternoon and we'd been on the go just about all day. The kids power napped coming home and were ready to go again when we got home (wish I could have said the same for me). Chris dropped us off and then took the van to get new tires (we'd ordered them, and they finally came in) while the kids and I ate dinner. We cleaned up, got ready to go to class and Chris got home just in time to load us all up and head to the hall. We got home around 9:30 and the kids were whooped! I have never put them to bed faster than I did last night (usually there are many attempts at stalling). Even the girls were too tired to talk much after the lights were out (definitely tired).

Comments

Unknown said…
Byron cannot be a T. Rex in that picture. A T. Rex has only 2 fingers on each hand and he is displaying 5! ;-)
Marmee said…
LOL! And to think, you wouldn't have known that had you not come to live here.

Popular Posts