Turkey Lurkey

When we were attending the Manitoulin Bible Camp this past summer, we were talking with some friends about making a trash can turkey. They told us it was the best turkey they had ever eaten. So, Chris and I just decided to do it. We invited over some friends here to help us eat it and we coooked! Chris laid down a heavy foil in our fire ring, then inserted a stake into the ground. Before he brought out the turkey, he stuffed the inside with a ball of foil to keep the stake from going all the way through (though maybe that would be ok?). Then, he put down two pans of wood chips for a smoky flavor. He covered all that with a metal trash can and then laid charcoal around the base of the can and on top of the can. He burned those and about 90 minutes later-perfectly cooked turkey-all 13 pounds of it!
Now it's getting hot!

The finished product-and don't mind that black on top. I like it that way!

Me and the turkey on our serving platter-the trashcan lid!

David posing with the turkey. Only, we told him to say "turkey!", not "cheese".

Comments

Anonymous said…
I HAVE to show this to Ricky! But I better make sure there's not a burn ban... the smoldering turkey in the back yard might be kinda hard to explain...

Popular Posts