Playing Air Traffic Controller

Today I was teaching Ruth about air traffic controllers and what they do. I had printed off a workbook from the NATCA (National Air Traffic Controllers Association) website. The workbook covers the basics for the air traffic controllers. So, we went over that and then I thought perhaps Ruth would get more out of it if we tried to play act it. Runner, our Beanie Baby, was our airplane requesting takeoff. We went through the various stages that the planes go through with the controllers and then it was my turn to be the controller while Ruth piloted Runner. Take off was a breeze as was leaving the airport area. It all went south when we left the airport and entered more open air. We were soon joined by the stapler plane, piloted by Grace and the snow globe plane piloted by David. Those planes were just going crazy flying all over the airspace, disregarding the controller telling them to quit flying into each other's airspace. It was utter chaos! So, Bettie, my hat is off to you. And I sincerely hope that the pilots ya'll work with are a little more cooperative than the ones I dealt with today.

Comments

Popular Posts