The Sunday before last was our yearly Family Day and Softball Game. The girls and I went, but because David had come down with pink eye, he had stayed home with Chris. None of the girls wanted to play softball and there was absolutely no talking them into it. But, after the softball game, a rousing game of kickball was organized. Ruth was very, very hesitant to join in, but I could tell that she really wanted to play. I encouraged her to go and she got a little help from another young girl at our meeting (Victoria). Victoria took Ruth under her wing and explained the rules of the game to her and helped her to play. While I think Ruth still needs some fine tuning, she did seem to be having fun by the time it ended.
Ruth, getting some encouragement from Victoria and Jadah. She thought for sure she'd done the play wrong and was nearly in tears.

Getting ready to kick.

Getting some pointers from Victoria on the subtle nuances of the game

A little video clip of Ruth kicking the ball.
Now, lest you think I'm crazy to go so overboard on this kick ball thing...I must add that for Ruth to join this game...that's huge! She is so shy about joining in games where she does not know the rules. She hates to be wrong and so will not try something rather than do it wrong. It's rather exasperating, but I can understand it. I feel the exact same way. I have such a hard time asserting myself or joining in with things because I don't want to do anything wrong. I am so proud of her for doing this. It's such a huge step for her.
Comments