Ruth's Penchant for Writing

Ruth has shown, over the last few years, that she has a definite flair for the dramatic. This has manifested itself in her writing. Up until this year, her writing was all done on her own, for fun-not school assignments. She has been working through the year on various writing projects both at co-op and at home.

Not long ago, Ruth had to write a very short story for Aunt Amy and the study they were doing on owls. She wrote:

My name is Horny the great-horned owl. Today I woke up and I saw a big fat rat. It looked good so I swooped down to get it. But I remembered yesterday a man just finished making a home. Today I have to leave because the man put rat poison and my wife ate a rat that ate the poison and now it is time to leave and I am very sad. The end.

For her co-op class on Ohio, I have assigned her a short research paper on a president born in Ohio. She choose Benjamin Harrison. For 2 weeks she worked on writing down information as I read her a biography on Harrison. Then, this week, her assignment was to turn those facts into a rough draft. She worked on that while Gracie was finishing up her spelling. I checked over what she had written and while there are some punctuation/grammar errors to work on, she has a very entertaining beginning.

Benjamin Harrison was born in 1833 on August 20, North Bend, Ohio sadly in 1901 March 13 his gravestone was laid. in his schooling days his furst school was long caben....


Comments

Popular Posts