One Year Ago Today
We got the call, one year ago, today. It was about 11am and I was called. Did I want a newborn girl? I didn't hear much after that. Of COURSE I wanted a newborn! All the joy, none of the pain! She came to us that afternoon. We'd had a whirlwind afternoon of purchasing baby items, washing some clothes, getting clothes from friends, and setting up a bassinet that hadn't seen the light of day in our house for almost 5 years. We were so excited!
She came and her carseat was all covered up. "Do you want to see what I have?", the social worker asked the kids all crowded around the table. "Yes!" was the resounding chorus from all but Byron who most emphatically stated, "NO!". (Poor kid had been through so many changes already.) She had so much hair. And she was sleeping so peaceful. So incredibly tiny. We came to love her so very much.
But, she's moved on now. A family was found to take her and her 3 siblings and when she was 6 months old, she moved. And we grieved. Just recently, at our license renewal, we found out that she moved again. The family that took her and her siblings-they "couldn't do it anymore" and asked for the kids to be moved. So my poor baby moved again. And we still think of her. Her first birthday was two days ago. I wonder, is she talking? Is she trying to take steps? Is she happy? Oh, I hope she's happy. Because we miss her something fierce.
And, in the meantime, we wait. Wait for another call. And we know, while the system is far from perfect, Lord willing, we just might find ourselves parenting another precious baby girl.
She came and her carseat was all covered up. "Do you want to see what I have?", the social worker asked the kids all crowded around the table. "Yes!" was the resounding chorus from all but Byron who most emphatically stated, "NO!". (Poor kid had been through so many changes already.) She had so much hair. And she was sleeping so peaceful. So incredibly tiny. We came to love her so very much.
But, she's moved on now. A family was found to take her and her 3 siblings and when she was 6 months old, she moved. And we grieved. Just recently, at our license renewal, we found out that she moved again. The family that took her and her siblings-they "couldn't do it anymore" and asked for the kids to be moved. So my poor baby moved again. And we still think of her. Her first birthday was two days ago. I wonder, is she talking? Is she trying to take steps? Is she happy? Oh, I hope she's happy. Because we miss her something fierce.
And, in the meantime, we wait. Wait for another call. And we know, while the system is far from perfect, Lord willing, we just might find ourselves parenting another precious baby girl.
Comments
I love you.