The Police Will Be Here in a Few Minutes

I fell asleep yesterday, while talking to Chris. The next thing I know, I hear Chris saying "The police will be here in a few minutes." What? Oh, right. We were talking about our fostering and the appointment we have for Tuesday. I totally forgot the police were coming tonight! Wait a minute! We didn't have an appointment with the police! "What!?" I finally just said what I was thinking. Chris laughed when he realized just what he was doing to me. "The girls accidentally called 911. It's standard procedure for them to come by the house and check on us anyway." Oh. Wait a minute! I've never taught them about 911! How on earth did they call 911?? I can't believe they hit random numbers and managed to call 911. So, up I get to investigate some more into this bizarre story. I come out to the kitchen and find a not so very remorseful Grace and a very remorseful Ruth, who is hiding under the keeping room table. She thought she was in big, big trouble. So, Chris and I begin the speech about not calling 911, etc etc. Then, we told them that they had to apologize to the policeman that was coming by. Chris and I were congratulating ourselves that surely he would be stern with them and at least make an impression. He gets here, Ruth tries to explain, but she's near tears and mumbling, so Chris actually ends up showing the policeman that what happened was the girls got hold of Chris' Blackberry and even though it's locked, a few clicks and Wham! A call to 911 without even dialing a number. Great if, say, you're laying on your bathroom floor with two broken legs, a broken arm and a concussion but not so great if you're a kid who just happens to be trying to stop the bizzer from bizzing. The policeman was so incredibly nice, telling Ruth it's okay, he just had to make sure we were okay, etc, etc. He left. Chris turned to me and we looked at each other and he said "Sheesh! He could have been a little harder on her!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
This by far has got to be one of the best of your recent stories. David and I can just see Chris stating the last phase!!