Impending Birthday

Next week is Ruth's 6th birthday. I can hardly believe she is that old already. She is so excited for her birthday. She was fairly dancing with excitement when two packages arrived in the mail for her. Presents from Grandad and Grandma Pat. So, even though it was early, we asked her if she wanted to open them or save them for her party. (I figured it was a sure thing she'd want to open them.) She asked how many days until her party (4), and decided she would wait until her party. It was only a few days more, she said. I was floored. I never dreamed she'd say that. David howled with frustration, though. He was banking on finding out just what was in those presents. I was really proud of her for waiting. What a big girl she's getting to be!

So, all this thinking has me thinking of my own birthday (the big-ish 3-0). It's not for a few months, though. But, I was thinking about how much it has changed since I had kids. No more parties with friends. Now, I just have little parties where my mom helps the girls bake a cake (and sometimes there are finger prints in the icing and lots and lots of sprinkles). And, last year, she had them over and the girls did "chores" to earn money. Then, she took them to the store where they bought me little things with their money. I still have the pink flowers they got me. But, even so, deep down, sometimes I wish that I'd get a party with all my family again. People would come from all over the place and it would be so much fun! Because, somehow, I'd not know that this was coming together. Because somehow my kids would manage not to say a word (not likely at all). But, then again, I feel guilty feeling that way. After all, now it's my kids' turn to shine. I had my day and I wouldn't trade my pink silk flowers for all the parties in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts