Update on Baby Girl
I got the call some time ago. The call from Social Services saying "We're going to go for permanent custody of Baby and her siblings next month (ie September)." I was so excited. This was six months earlier than planned. I had no idea how it could be done since everyone said it couldn't be done, but I was happy none the less. Then, they said, "And we're having a planning meeting to find a home for all four children." My heart sank.
And, find that home, they did. This past Friday, Baby's three siblings (ages 3, 6, and 9) were moved to their new home. Baby has not been moved yet. They want to give the siblings time to adjust before bringing Baby down. After all, Baby has never lived with them. Only us. I'm sure they will need some time to adjust. They're moving to another home, another school. Now, throw a demanding sibling into the mix and ....well, we all know what babies are like.
We are crushed. Never was it mentioned that Baby would be moved to another foster to adopt home. Go home to mom? Yes. Definitely could have happened. But another mom adopting her? Never mentioned. I've read so many horror stories of the foster to adopt system and people "losing" children they should have adopted and I never thought it would be me. Surely they were all exaggerated. But, low and behold, we're losing our baby.
My consolation is that Baby's new mom is married and she stays at home with the kids. Baby will grow up with her siblings. Byron never had that chance. For those that don't know, he's one of 7, possibly 8 kids. (Possibly, yeah, I know. Don't ask. It's sad.)
But, it still hurts and I will be glad when it's over. The time between now and her move (still no definite date, just a ball park end of the month) is going to be hard. I have to care for her, but I have to detach myself. I don't think I could truly detach myself anyway. So, I'll send her to her new home. And I'll cry. Probably cry a lot. But, in the end, I'll do it again. How could I not?
And, find that home, they did. This past Friday, Baby's three siblings (ages 3, 6, and 9) were moved to their new home. Baby has not been moved yet. They want to give the siblings time to adjust before bringing Baby down. After all, Baby has never lived with them. Only us. I'm sure they will need some time to adjust. They're moving to another home, another school. Now, throw a demanding sibling into the mix and ....well, we all know what babies are like.
We are crushed. Never was it mentioned that Baby would be moved to another foster to adopt home. Go home to mom? Yes. Definitely could have happened. But another mom adopting her? Never mentioned. I've read so many horror stories of the foster to adopt system and people "losing" children they should have adopted and I never thought it would be me. Surely they were all exaggerated. But, low and behold, we're losing our baby.
My consolation is that Baby's new mom is married and she stays at home with the kids. Baby will grow up with her siblings. Byron never had that chance. For those that don't know, he's one of 7, possibly 8 kids. (Possibly, yeah, I know. Don't ask. It's sad.)
But, it still hurts and I will be glad when it's over. The time between now and her move (still no definite date, just a ball park end of the month) is going to be hard. I have to care for her, but I have to detach myself. I don't think I could truly detach myself anyway. So, I'll send her to her new home. And I'll cry. Probably cry a lot. But, in the end, I'll do it again. How could I not?
Comments
(((hugs))) and prayers!