The Girls Learn to Swim
We have finally gone about getting the girls some swimming lessons. I put it off for ages because 1. I'm lazy. 2. I have too many kids to feel comfy corralling them at a pool. 3. It's expensive to get them at the Y 4. I'm lazy. But, Chris finally pulled me off my duff and we got them signed up for a summer session at the city school's pool. They offer summer swim lessons for a very reasonable price. I wasn't sure how the girls would do, honestly. They have not had to split up for any real class before this and even when they have split up, they have always known the other kids in the classes. I should not have worried. They were both a little hesitant the first day, but all in all they did fine going their separate ways. It was in the classes that I noticed their distinct personalities showing through.
Ruth just despises having her face wet and will scream bloody murder in the shower should she get her face wet (and yes, I dread shower time). Grace is...well...Grace. She so often is quirky, giggly, and has trouble staying still to listen when surrounded by distractions (such as a pool full of kids). And the day went something like this:
Ruth would flap her hands any time someone splashed in her general direction. She very admirably allowed the instructor to pull her through the water with her face sort of in it; he was attempting to show her the proper way to breathe while you swim. I was really proud of her for getting her face as wet as she did.
Throughout her entire class, Grace alternated between bobbing up and down repeated on the side of the pool, crawling around on the side bench thingy, shooting mouthfuls of water across the pool, and just generally not paying attention when it wasn't directly her turn.


Ruth just despises having her face wet and will scream bloody murder in the shower should she get her face wet (and yes, I dread shower time). Grace is...well...Grace. She so often is quirky, giggly, and has trouble staying still to listen when surrounded by distractions (such as a pool full of kids). And the day went something like this:
Ruth would flap her hands any time someone splashed in her general direction. She very admirably allowed the instructor to pull her through the water with her face sort of in it; he was attempting to show her the proper way to breathe while you swim. I was really proud of her for getting her face as wet as she did.
Throughout her entire class, Grace alternated between bobbing up and down repeated on the side of the pool, crawling around on the side bench thingy, shooting mouthfuls of water across the pool, and just generally not paying attention when it wasn't directly her turn.
I heard from the girls that the water was a little chilly...
Boo, climbing out the side of the pool, not really with the class
Boo, climbing out the side of the pool, not really with the class
And crawling down the side to then sit with her class
Ruth, being tortured by the water in the face torture
Comments