Last Minute Trip to the Zoo

Last night, I was feeling restless, so I shot an email to a friend in Pittsburgh asking if she had any plans for today.  To my joy, she was available, the weather was lovely, so I told her I'd meet her at the zoo...in Pittsburgh.  I roused the kids, packed us food, separated all the animals and away we went.  Two hours later, we arrived at the zoo.


Ninja faces on, we pose with the zoo sign

Posing with the praying mantis while we waited for Julie to arrive


The otters were just too cute

Ferocious Grace, caged in the Polar Bear cage

Everyone was so busy watching the polar bear, they missed the peacock on the roof

Twig Catfish-the kids howled with laughter and glee over this little fellow

There were some gorgeous flowers in the rainforest area

Where is Josh?  ;)

Josh and Julie

More amazing flowers


My boys and me

This little guy was so much fun to watch, popping in and out of the tube coral

The Lionfish-we studied him in science this year, so it was especially cool to see one in person

The seahorse had anchored himself upside down, much to the amusement of the kids

seadragon

David stood stock still watching the peacock walk by him

All four kids, and Josh, fit into the footprint of an elephant

Darling little baby elephant

DANGER!
I had a fabulous time.  I got in some quality Mom time with a good friend and the kids had some fresh air and exercise.  True, we spent more time in the van traveling to and from than we did at the zoo, but it was such a nice day for being out and it felt good to do something unexpected and fun after weeks of unrelenting schoolwork.

Comments

Popular Posts