Last week found us finishing up chapter 3 in our science book on Pinnipeds and then continuing on with chapter 4 and a study of Terps, or sea turtles, snakes and frogs.
 |
| Ruth's page on Walruses |
 |
| Ruth's notebook page on Manatees. That girl's narrations crack me up! |
 |
| Here is page 1 of 2 on the 8 kinds of sea turtles we discussed |
 |
| Page 2 of 2. I'm particularly fond of the bird and lizard eating the turtle eggs. |
 |
| Grace's pages, though not as colorful, provide some amusing illustrations. |
 |
| Here we have David's notebook pages. Rather than draw the Australian flatback, he opted to give 3 picture facts. Fact #1-they do not have a hard shell. So, that's a picture of a shark biting through the shell and the universal "no" sign. Fact #2-I have no clue what that means. Fact #3-they are called flatbacks because they are, well, flat. Hence the flat turtle with it's legs sticking out. |
 |
| Page 2 of David's turtles. On the olive ridley, he wrote "endangered species", though it really says "indajr spehe". He tries. And, you'll notice that all his turtles appear to have been smashed with a mallet. I can assure you, this is intentional. |
 |
| Ruth really wanted me to include his Manatee page because she was so amused by the large broods each Manatee was nursing and all the teats. I'll admit to being really amused as well. |
 |
| Byron's turtle page-he wrote all the names himself. It took him a really, really long time. |
 |
| Don't be fooled by the fact that all these turtles appear to have been smashed by the same mallet at David's. They are all sporting happy faces and giant eyes. And I think they're great. |
In history we covered the land of Persia and all the nations that held empires there from the Assyrians to the Safavids (began around the early 1500's). The kids colored their maps a different color for each empire. Below, on Grace's map, I wrote in the empires for her (and the boys on theirs), but Ruth wrote in her own because she can write smaller than the other kids.
Comments