The Last Few Days in My Life
Yesterday was swimming in the morning. We get home from that around 10:45. I had told the kids I'd get us lunch and then we'd clean. If they could help me clean with a good attitude and being helpful (ie I didn't have to go looking for them every 3 minutes) then we'd go to see Rio that afternoon, but if not, we'd still clean and we'd not go to the movie. Turns out, it was a great incentive. We managed to reasonably clean the keeping room, kitchen, side rooms (kitchen bathroom and laundry room), school room, and the boys' bedroom in about 2 hours. On the whole, they did pretty well in the cooperation department. I have found that sending them off to do jobs just doesn't work. They'd just play instead. So, we all worked in the same room at the same time. I set a timer in 15 minute increments to keep us focused. Ok, well, I actually started the keeping room at 30 minutes because there were baskets of laundry in there so I knew it was going to take us more than 15 minutes to clean.
The kids have completed their first session of swimming. David was the only one to level up, having completed Level 1. I'm very excited because he was such a terrible swimmer last year. He wouldn't do hardly anything except float about on 4 or 5 noodles. This year he put his face in, learned to float on his back and front. It was great! Byron still has several skills to master, but he is doing tons better, too. He's gone from clinging to the side of the pool to floating about on 4 or 5 noodles. I give all the credit to the $4.50 goggles I bought from the Natatorium. Not only do the boys think they look cool, but they are functional as well. Whopper stories are now accompanying the acquisition of said goggles. Things like, "I did 50 bobs today!" and "I did a flip underwater! Me too!!" and "I went underwater and I counted 10 people!" It's like these goggles have super powers instilled in them. The power to super bob, do underwater flips and count ten pairs of legs before resurfacing. They are truly amazing articles. The girls have successfully made me go gray. They now swim proficiently enough to freak.me.out. nearly every day. I watch as they launch themselves into water that is clearly over their heads, laughing every moment. I am such a nervous Nelly. I think I need a Xanax just to get through swimming with Ruth and Boo. During "free time", after their lessons, they may go anywhere in the pool, so long as there are no lessons going on in that area. Many times they can be found at the diving board trying for simultaneous jumps into the deepest part of the pool where it seems to take them a ridiculous amount of time to resurface (perhaps they are doing flips or counting pairs of legs as well?). But, if I'm honest, the majority of the time, I'm actually chatting with the other moms about their adorable children, homeschooling, and laughing over the funny things our boys have said lately and trying not to worry quite so much.
The kids have completed their first session of swimming. David was the only one to level up, having completed Level 1. I'm very excited because he was such a terrible swimmer last year. He wouldn't do hardly anything except float about on 4 or 5 noodles. This year he put his face in, learned to float on his back and front. It was great! Byron still has several skills to master, but he is doing tons better, too. He's gone from clinging to the side of the pool to floating about on 4 or 5 noodles. I give all the credit to the $4.50 goggles I bought from the Natatorium. Not only do the boys think they look cool, but they are functional as well. Whopper stories are now accompanying the acquisition of said goggles. Things like, "I did 50 bobs today!" and "I did a flip underwater! Me too!!" and "I went underwater and I counted 10 people!" It's like these goggles have super powers instilled in them. The power to super bob, do underwater flips and count ten pairs of legs before resurfacing. They are truly amazing articles. The girls have successfully made me go gray. They now swim proficiently enough to freak.me.out. nearly every day. I watch as they launch themselves into water that is clearly over their heads, laughing every moment. I am such a nervous Nelly. I think I need a Xanax just to get through swimming with Ruth and Boo. During "free time", after their lessons, they may go anywhere in the pool, so long as there are no lessons going on in that area. Many times they can be found at the diving board trying for simultaneous jumps into the deepest part of the pool where it seems to take them a ridiculous amount of time to resurface (perhaps they are doing flips or counting pairs of legs as well?). But, if I'm honest, the majority of the time, I'm actually chatting with the other moms about their adorable children, homeschooling, and laughing over the funny things our boys have said lately and trying not to worry quite so much.
Comments