Chores Revisited
Well, with the addition of Byron to our family, it was time to reassess the chores that the kids are doing. I took down the old charts and began writing up new ones. We had shuffled things around so that Byron could have something to help with (he really wants to help out), but I hadn't given him his own official chore chart. He has one now! Here is my breakdown for each kid:
Ruth
MORNING:
Make bed
Brush Teeth/hair
Get dressed
Tidy room
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs (3 rooms)
Dinner helper
EVENING:
PJ's/Brush Teeth
Tidy Bedroom
Tidy Basement
Each day she is to do a quick clean of the bathroom (wipe sinks, counters, toilets, check for tp and empty trash)
Grace
MORNING:
Same as Ruth
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs and she is my lunch helper
EVENING:
PJ's/Brush teeth
Tidy Bedroom/Basement
Her daily chore is Cat care (litter/food) and swiffering up dust on all wooden floors/stairs
David
MORNING:
Same as girls except he is also the breakfast helper.
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs
EVENING:
Same as girls
Daily chore is emptying the dishwasher (I put it away since he can't reach most of the cupboards)
Byron
MORNING:
Same as David, including breakfast helper
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs
EVENING:
Same as David
Daily chore is to feed Jessie 2x/day.
I have also decided to make their "screen time" contingent on getting the above chores completed and I'm only allotting 30min/day. If you complete your chores on day 1, you get 30 minutes on day 2. I've done really well (I think, compared to how it used to be) at limiting screen time (that includes computer and tv, so they have to take their pick which one), but I'd like to do better.
As for the meal helper part, instead of having everyone helping all the time, I am thinking of making it one/two people help each meal. So, my breakfast helpers are responsible for helping set up and clean up breakfast. Lunch helper sets up and cleans up lunch. I put Ruth on dinner because that is our main meal and I want my oldest learning to do that. I did have David on that one a long time ago and it was not helpful at all.
I am also doing laundry on a rotating basis and each child is to help me, to their capacity, in doing it. So, the boys mostly move it from basket to washer to dryer and push the buttons and the girls do sorting, loading, switching and are learning folding. Actually, the girls are mostly able to do everything (including adding soap and running) on their own, but they still need help with the folding. But, I have not been good about having them do it. I have fallen into the "it's just easier to do it myself" syndrome.
I'm hoping to stick with these chores. I want the kids to truly understand how much work it is to make a house run smoothly and efficiently. Plus, it will help me out in the long run.
Ruth
MORNING:
Make bed
Brush Teeth/hair
Get dressed
Tidy room
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs (3 rooms)
Dinner helper
EVENING:
PJ's/Brush Teeth
Tidy Bedroom
Tidy Basement
Each day she is to do a quick clean of the bathroom (wipe sinks, counters, toilets, check for tp and empty trash)
Grace
MORNING:
Same as Ruth
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs and she is my lunch helper
EVENING:
PJ's/Brush teeth
Tidy Bedroom/Basement
Her daily chore is Cat care (litter/food) and swiffering up dust on all wooden floors/stairs
David
MORNING:
Same as girls except he is also the breakfast helper.
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs
EVENING:
Same as girls
Daily chore is emptying the dishwasher (I put it away since he can't reach most of the cupboards)
Byron
MORNING:
Same as David, including breakfast helper
AFTERNOON:
Tidy downstairs
EVENING:
Same as David
Daily chore is to feed Jessie 2x/day.
I have also decided to make their "screen time" contingent on getting the above chores completed and I'm only allotting 30min/day. If you complete your chores on day 1, you get 30 minutes on day 2. I've done really well (I think, compared to how it used to be) at limiting screen time (that includes computer and tv, so they have to take their pick which one), but I'd like to do better.
As for the meal helper part, instead of having everyone helping all the time, I am thinking of making it one/two people help each meal. So, my breakfast helpers are responsible for helping set up and clean up breakfast. Lunch helper sets up and cleans up lunch. I put Ruth on dinner because that is our main meal and I want my oldest learning to do that. I did have David on that one a long time ago and it was not helpful at all.
I am also doing laundry on a rotating basis and each child is to help me, to their capacity, in doing it. So, the boys mostly move it from basket to washer to dryer and push the buttons and the girls do sorting, loading, switching and are learning folding. Actually, the girls are mostly able to do everything (including adding soap and running) on their own, but they still need help with the folding. But, I have not been good about having them do it. I have fallen into the "it's just easier to do it myself" syndrome.
I'm hoping to stick with these chores. I want the kids to truly understand how much work it is to make a house run smoothly and efficiently. Plus, it will help me out in the long run.
Comments