Friday Art Class
I had to cancel last Friday's art class. My powdered pigments didn't arrive in time. But, this week we were able to do it. We made our own Tempera paints. During art class in co-op, I was telling the kids how long, long ago, tempera paints were made with egg yolk and pigment. Of course, the kids thought it would be just fantastic to make their own paints. I agreed to look into it. I found some directions on the 'net, ordered some powdered pigments and here we are.







The funniest part of all this was after we were done painting. I caught the dog licking the paintings (guess it was all that egg yolk) and she licked a spot clean on Gabriel's painting.
Step 1-choose your egg
Step 2-separate the yolk from the white
Step 3-gently put the yolk on a cloth and roll yolk to the edge of the cloth to dry the yolk in preparation for step 4 which is to put a small hole in the yolk and drain the yolk out leaving behind a thin membrane that is discarded.
Step 5-add pigments and mix
Here the kids are sketching in the basics for their paintings
Ruth's finished painting-that's a palm tree on a beach
Mine. Not too exciting. Just some sky, grass, a barn and some cows
The funniest part of all this was after we were done painting. I caught the dog licking the paintings (guess it was all that egg yolk) and she licked a spot clean on Gabriel's painting.
Comments