It Has Come To My Attention...

That I have not posted to my blog in over a week. (You know who you are! Bwahahaha...) So, I believe an update is in order now.

Chris and I celebrated our 7th anniversary last Monday. It was a last minute decision to even go out, but I found a sitter that morning and Chris found a restaurant with a good deal on dinner! So, off we went. It was nice to have a few hours alone and when we got home a little after 7, Grace and David were already in bed.

We had our usual schooling during the week-nothing special. The weekend was another story, however. I was up until 1am Friday morning doing some cleaning. I was having a group of homeschool moms coming to the house for a lapbooking class I was giving. So, I cleaned until the wee hours, then, got up and took the kids to the McKinley Museum to get them out of my clean house. We spent a few hours there and then had lunch on the way to my parents' house where I was dropping off the kids. I got back home and put some finishing touches on the house and dinner (we were having a potluck) and then the ladies began arriving. We had dinner and then I gave a class on how to use lapbooking in homeschooling. This was a trial run class. I am slated to give the class this summer at our local homeschool convention. I'm kinda nervous about it, but I agreed to do the class before I could think too much about it and say no! But, I digress. The class went well and I had a lot of fun. It was late before we made it to bed and I was really beat!

Saturday was a study weekend at our meeting and I needed to make soup for the dinner. So, I got up and did that Saturday morning. While I was finishing getting ready, Chris went down to my parents' house to pick up the kids. I drove to the hall with our food donations. We spent the day there, including lunch and dinner. We had a fourth class after dinner that night, but the kids and I were pretty tired, so I took them home while Chris stayed for the class. It gave me some time to get the kids into bed before he got home. He was also bringing home one of the teens from Pittsburgh. She needed a place to stay, so we had her stay with us.

Sunday was really great-we had a baptism during Sunday School. The kids love that. Especially Ruth. This was our first baptism in our new hall. We had lunch again at the hall and ended up staying for a few hours after that. The kids got to play in the nursery with their friends while Chris and I visited with our friends.

Monday of this week was busy, too. The kids opted to do their Monday work Sunday evening so that they could play with their friends at hour house Monday. I was having planning sessions Monday and it really worked for the best to have them not doing school while I'm trying to plan. First, I met with Amanda (my cousin and homeschool fellow). We are heading up the kids' class for summer Sunday School and we needed to plan the classes. We made great headway there, so it was a very productive morning. Then, we were joined by another fellow homeschooler and we all had lunch together and the adults began our co-op planning. We are doing a short session that will have science, history, music and Health safety and manners. It's a seven week session to get our feet wet and make changes as needed. We'll do some more over the summer and then in the fall we should be ready to start a longer session.

The rest of this week was a blur of school and planning. Next week I am off to a homeschoolers convention in Cincinnati and I want to be sure I have everything ready to go here before I leave. I'm really looking forward to this. I went last year at the last minute and had a fantastic time! There are tons of various classes to take from home school encouragement to how to classes. Hundreds of people attend and you can meet some really neat people. I am going down with two of my homeschooling buddies and we're even leaving a day early so we can take in a museum ahead of time. (I can't remember the last time I got to go to a museum without kids in tow!) There will tons of vendors there, too. I love that part. I get the chance to look over curriculum that I may want to buy before I buy. A huge bonus. You can look online all you want, read all the reviews, but sometimes the real clincher is when you get to peruse it in person.

Now, enough about me. On to the kids! Ruth is doing just wonderful with her reading. I thought she would never get it and suddenly...the light is on! She's reading books to "the kids" as she calls them. I'm ecstatic! Grace knows most of her letters and their sounds, so she is working on some K level phonics. She can now read simple short vowel words. In fact, she's picking it up much faster than Ruth did. I think she must have been listening more to Ruth's lessons than I thought! David is being pesky (the girls' words, not mine) and he keeps telling me he needs a foster brudder so he won't pester the girls so much. I find it hard to believe that a brother is going to make all the difference. I think in reality it will just give him a buddy to participate in all that pestering.

And, speaking of fostering...we are officially licensed and now are just waiting for a call with a placement. Although I am excited about it, I do hope that it's not until after my convention. I'd hate to leave Chris with a new kid to get used to all alone.

Comments

Popular Posts