I'm Baa-aaack!!
I took a break-not because I was overwhelmed with life and such. I was away on a vacation! Woohoo! I spent five days in Cincinnati at a homeschooling convention. It was so much fun to be with many other homeschoolers (dare I say hundreds?). There were workshops all day long, a large vendor hall filled with wonderful smelling books. Brand new books. I love that smell. Fresh paper and ink. Nothing else can compare. I left home with a plan for next year. After several workshops, my plans changed and I came home with a new plan. One that I am so excited to begin. It involves, rather than studying subjects on a spiral, using the immersion/mastery method.
I have already switched to the immersion/mastery method for our Math in using Math U See. Ruth is studying just single digit addition/subtraction. Next year, she'll study double digit addition/subtraction before moving on to multiplication. In the end, she'll come out studying just as much as if we had done traditional, spiral method math. But, she will, hopefully, master addition before moving on.
So, in the footsteps of Math, our science is now immersion. We'll be studying Zoology 1-Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (Jeannie Fulbright). We will study in depth the various and sundry flying creatures-bugs, mammals, et al. I plan to keep a notebook since this science stresses doing/reading/narration and not worksheets, tests and more worksheets. The notebook will give me something concrete to show for our days and it will fulfill Ruth's need for bookwork (I hope!). Because there is no real bookwork, I plan to include Grace and David when possible. I want to incorporate more nature walks. I'm going to need supplies now. Jars for collecting specimens, nets, identifying books just to name a few. I'm so excited about getting us out of the house more. I'll be sitting down to find a list of state parks in close proximity to aid in my desire for more outdoors.
All this immersion and nature study falls under what some call the Charlotte Mason way of education. I have really just begun to delve into her philosophy. So far, it seems reasonable, but I find that I cannot seem to subscribe to just one theory of education. I'm sort of a mishmash. For example, our history for this year will be The Story of the World-as written by Susan Wise Bauer and follower of Classical Education. I find that I just cannot be a hard core Classical Educator. It's way too much book reading, philosopher studying, humanistic thinking than I care to deal with. But, that's just what I came away from the convention with. Not to say that it's all bad. There are some good things, too. Just not enough to tempt me. I'd rather have happy, average intelligence children than unhappy, classic saturated, super intelligent children. To me, homeschooling them is not about how smart I can make them. It's about how much can I be their guide and their influence. To build them up in their faith and their self respect. To teach them that there is more to life than being the best scholar. To teach them to build up for themselves riches in heaven-not riches in this earth which is fleeting.
But, I did not just spend the time learning and buying new books. Oh no! I spent hours upon hours laughing and talking homeschool and religion with my comrades on this trip; Celia, Patti, and Amy. I had so much fun I just cannot convey it with mere words. The time away to recharge and refresh in addition to educating myself a little more about what was out there-it was priceless. But, despite all that, I am glad to be home.
When I arrived home yesterday, I was greeted by my troops, shouting "Surprise!" and they were jumping and waving their arms. Meanwhile, a balloon reading "You're the Greatest! #1" bobbed up and down behind them. And, a sign hung from the ceiling declaring "Welcome Home!". It was such a grand homecoming. The house was tidy, the laundry done (thank you so much, Chris), the kids glad to see me (and I think Chris was too-Did I tell you he kept the kids the whole time I was gone?). Yes, it was good to be home.
I have already switched to the immersion/mastery method for our Math in using Math U See. Ruth is studying just single digit addition/subtraction. Next year, she'll study double digit addition/subtraction before moving on to multiplication. In the end, she'll come out studying just as much as if we had done traditional, spiral method math. But, she will, hopefully, master addition before moving on.
So, in the footsteps of Math, our science is now immersion. We'll be studying Zoology 1-Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (Jeannie Fulbright). We will study in depth the various and sundry flying creatures-bugs, mammals, et al. I plan to keep a notebook since this science stresses doing/reading/narration and not worksheets, tests and more worksheets. The notebook will give me something concrete to show for our days and it will fulfill Ruth's need for bookwork (I hope!). Because there is no real bookwork, I plan to include Grace and David when possible. I want to incorporate more nature walks. I'm going to need supplies now. Jars for collecting specimens, nets, identifying books just to name a few. I'm so excited about getting us out of the house more. I'll be sitting down to find a list of state parks in close proximity to aid in my desire for more outdoors.
All this immersion and nature study falls under what some call the Charlotte Mason way of education. I have really just begun to delve into her philosophy. So far, it seems reasonable, but I find that I cannot seem to subscribe to just one theory of education. I'm sort of a mishmash. For example, our history for this year will be The Story of the World-as written by Susan Wise Bauer and follower of Classical Education. I find that I just cannot be a hard core Classical Educator. It's way too much book reading, philosopher studying, humanistic thinking than I care to deal with. But, that's just what I came away from the convention with. Not to say that it's all bad. There are some good things, too. Just not enough to tempt me. I'd rather have happy, average intelligence children than unhappy, classic saturated, super intelligent children. To me, homeschooling them is not about how smart I can make them. It's about how much can I be their guide and their influence. To build them up in their faith and their self respect. To teach them that there is more to life than being the best scholar. To teach them to build up for themselves riches in heaven-not riches in this earth which is fleeting.
But, I did not just spend the time learning and buying new books. Oh no! I spent hours upon hours laughing and talking homeschool and religion with my comrades on this trip; Celia, Patti, and Amy. I had so much fun I just cannot convey it with mere words. The time away to recharge and refresh in addition to educating myself a little more about what was out there-it was priceless. But, despite all that, I am glad to be home.
When I arrived home yesterday, I was greeted by my troops, shouting "Surprise!" and they were jumping and waving their arms. Meanwhile, a balloon reading "You're the Greatest! #1" bobbed up and down behind them. And, a sign hung from the ceiling declaring "Welcome Home!". It was such a grand homecoming. The house was tidy, the laundry done (thank you so much, Chris), the kids glad to see me (and I think Chris was too-Did I tell you he kept the kids the whole time I was gone?). Yes, it was good to be home.
Comments