Stopping by Woods...
For our FIAR the last two weeks, we've gone over the poem Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, by Robert Frost. It took us this long to get it done because we had gotten so busy with doctors and things that school started to slide a bit. However, we wrapped it up and got to the point where Ruth can nearly recite the whole poem. She really, really likes it! (I really, really don't-but I think I mentioned that before.) The girls put together a few projects and put them in their notebooks.
We talked about Robert Frost and had a few new words. Grace got a nice little graphic that had the words to Jingle Bells, while Ruthie had to practice her writing by coping out the words to Jingle Bells. We also studied the rhyme scheme of Frost's poem and then each girl wrote her own poem using the same rhyme scheme (pattern: A, A, B, A)
Ruth's Poem:
The winter snow
Begins to blow
While the animals come out
Under the stars' glow.
Grace's Poem:
The sun will shine
And that will be fine.
The snow will fall
In a line.
Of course, I helped. I took each girl separately and had them come up with three rhyming winter like words. Then, I put the rhyming words at the end of the papers and had them work up a way to put them into a poem. I got them started with some suggestions, but for the most part, they came up with the lines after that. I was surprised that Grace did as much as she did. The last two lines were all hers with no help from me.
We talked about Robert Frost and had a few new words. Grace got a nice little graphic that had the words to Jingle Bells, while Ruthie had to practice her writing by coping out the words to Jingle Bells. We also studied the rhyme scheme of Frost's poem and then each girl wrote her own poem using the same rhyme scheme (pattern: A, A, B, A) Ruth's Poem:
The winter snow
Begins to blow
While the animals come out
Under the stars' glow.
Grace's Poem:
The sun will shine
And that will be fine.
The snow will fall
In a line.
Of course, I helped. I took each girl separately and had them come up with three rhyming winter like words. Then, I put the rhyming words at the end of the papers and had them work up a way to put them into a poem. I got them started with some suggestions, but for the most part, they came up with the lines after that. I was surprised that Grace did as much as she did. The last two lines were all hers with no help from me.
Comments