A Visit From the In-Laws

Today my father-in-law and his wife, Chris' stepmom are coming to visit. The kids are so excited that they are coming that they're being crazy and bouncing off the walls-almost literally. Chris is taking off work Tuesday through Friday I'm going to try and keep us all busy. The kids have less chances of bickering and annoying their Granddad and Grandma!

This week we're going to do a book called The Rag Coat by Lauren Mills. It's a about a little girl living in the Appalachian mountains and her father is a coal miner and her mother sews quilts. The girl can't go to school since she doesn't have a coat to wear and eventually, her mother and her sewing circle make the little girl a coat out of a quilt. So, we're going to talk about coal mining (my fil's favorite subject after trains!) and hopefully visit a coal mine the end of the week for a tour and we'll also talk about quilting. I have some scraps of fabric and I'm going to help Ruthie make a small quilt. Obviously a simple one since she's only five and even though I'm pushing 30, I don't know all that much about quilting anyway.

Comments

Anonymous said…
...sounds like a Dolly Parton song
with a Loretta Lynn twist in there for extra flavour!

(Coat of Many Colors/Coal Miner's Daughter)

Popular Posts