School Days

Today I began working on the massive task of sorting my homeschooling supplies and listing what I needed and wanted for next year. Yes, I've only done this for one year and I have already amassed more things than I need. Since I'll be helping out with the local homeschool convention the end of the month, I gathered up some things to sell there. Might as well make a little money, eh? They have a couple of rooms that they designate "used curriculum" and you can sell anything you don't need. But, back to sorting today. I made a pile of finished preschool books and junked those and then carted the rest of my books up from the basement. We have decided to turn our living room into a school room for now. We don't have the money to fix it up or furnish it, so why not?

I got the bookcase organized and filled and brought up the empty filing cabinet. I plan to store completed lapbooks as well as other lapbook supplies in there. We also have an 8' table that we'll put in the room for Ruth to work at. We're going to paint the wall and then hang a large white board (well, really some kind of tileboard, but it works just the same). We have our piano in that room, too, so Ruthie can start learning some basics. She has already asked about a guitar, but I told her that I want her to do a bit of piano first and see how much she really wants to play an instrument before I invest in the guitar.

I'm also planning out our course of study for the upcoming year. I plan to use FIAR (Five in a Row) volumes 1 and 2 and maybe 3 and we'll keep a notebook along the way. I will also throw in Math U See Alpha and Explode the Code (phonics work). Ruthie received a lovely book for her Sunday School Promotion (she's moving into Primary from Kindergarten! sniff sniff-my baby's growing up!) called Boys and Girls of the Bible. So, I think we'll read through that and keep a notebook along the way. Basically, when we read about someone, she'll have some sort of assignment to do in a notebook pertaining to the story. Probably a picture for now since she doesn't write too much yet. I want to throw in some classes periodically on manners and composers as well. She's a huge fan of Beethoven right now. (A special thanks to Aunt Bettie and the cd Beethoven's Wig-it's on most days in our house now.) Even though our year won't start until August, I am working on things now since I'm putting together the composers course as well as the manners one. Not that teaching them requires much effort, but making it fun, does.

We're going to begin fixing up the garage soon. I'm really excited about it, too. Dad has been helping us price (and find!) the things we need. It's so much easier to have him go rather than me during the day. Not only do I not really know what we need, but the kids would never behave long enough for me to accomplish anything. We plan to change the wood siding to vinyl and replace the windows and side door. We may put in a new overhead door, but probably later in the summer if at all.

That's all the news that's news aside from Boo thoroughly enjoying the attention her new haircut has gotten her. When asked about it she always says "David started it and the lady finished it."

Comments

Popular Posts