Ancient Japan
Today our Story of the World lesson revolved around Ancient Japan. We read mostly of the start of the Yamato Dynasty and some of the folklore attributed to their beginning (as children of the gods) as well as some of the ways that they held on to that power because being the children of gods is not enough to keep one in power. We also discussed the influence that ancient China had on Korea and later Japan and then consequently why Japan chose to cut that contact with China.
We always work on a map related to our study and today was no exception. Typically, it's the girls and most days David that I work with. Byron does not really want to hear the stories, nor does he care if the Mediterranean Sea is shaped somewhat like a flying duck (though David thinks this fact is really quite cool.). After working on maps, I released David into the wild and the girls and I continued with a lesson on Japanese poetry; the fine art of Haiku.
This was a tough concept for Ruth. She has been writing stories since she could first form reasonable legible words. But, one of the "rules" of Haiku, is that it does not tell a story. Tough, tough, tough on Ruth. Thinking a little more abstract was not her cup o' tea. But, we soldiered through it and ended up with an acceptable Haiku for each girl. To be fair, I did help guide them and remind them of the rules, but the ideas were theirs. I just had to tweak them a bit and/or help with a little syllable counting as both girls were hard pressed to keep their thoughts so short.
I wrote out the rules and each girl had space on the board for brainstorming.
Grace, all finished with her Haiku, including illustrations:
Red breast Robins fly
Red, yellow, orange leaves fall
Bears hibernate now.
Ruth's artwork has really blossomed these last few months and she so enjoys doing it. It took her quite some time to illustrate her Haiku:
Furry rabbit hops
Snow falls quietly around
Darkness covers the sky
To go along with our study of Japan, we prepared some foods with Japanese flavor. I do love that the teacher book for Story of the World provides a list of suggested activities to enhance a lesson. Most lessons include some form of cooking or baking project. We haven't done one since our Monk's meal (which, by the way, Gracie said she was a Monk today and refused to talk to anyone while she was cooking). So, today the girls helped me make a Osumashi (clear soup), rice, Goma-ae (Sesame seed dressing, tossed on steamed broccoli), and Yakimono (or a grilled Beef Teriyaki). The food, for the most part, was a dud with the kids, but clearly they have no sense of good cooking. I mean, I didn't even set off the smoke alarm-not once!
Our meat marinaded while we were gone for Byron's speech, but as soon as we got home, I put Ruth to work chopping mushrooms for the soup.
David kept taking carrots from Gracie's cutting board and making her mad. "DAAAAVID!!!"
Here she looks like she doesn't care, but don't let her fool you, just minutes before she was screeching at David. Anyway, I put her to work chopping carrots for the soup. They were supposed to be finely sliced, but I settled for chopped in huge pieces. You would, too, if you saw her wield a knife.
Grace said, "Look Mama! I'm a real chef!"
The finished soup. Our clear, broth soup to be garnished with mushrooms and tofu turned out to be chock full of mushrooms, carrots and tofu and garnished with a few green onions. It was...meh...ok. Gracie LOVED it, though.
Sitting down to dinner. Chris' beverage of choice is a fine Japanese Polor Pop, while my beverage of choice (and keeping with the theme, you know) is a rare and lesser known Ancient Japanese beverage-the Black and Blue Sobe. Really. Look it up sometime. And, what, may I ask, is up with those faces?!
Comments