Leaving for the Hike
Tonight was Chris' departure day for his hike. We (the family) will be camping in Canada in about a weeks' time. Well, Chris got this crazy idea to hike up to the island that we camp on. He's going through this mid-life crisis with a friend of his. So, at least if any bears attack them on the trail, Chris only has to run faster than Dave. I took Chris out to PA to meet up with his slow friend Dave tonight. They are headed up to drop their kids off at the camp as well. See, this is a Bible school and this coming week is what they call "Kids Camp" where anyone 7-18 can go and have classes and camp. There are many parent volunteers (I won't be one of those when my kids are eligible) and many parents just drop the kids off. Well, Dave has three of his four kids attending the kid's camp. So, they were driving up to Canada anyway and Chris just hitched a ride with them. We hired a sitter for the kids (Ruth tells me it's a kid sitter, not a baby sitter) and I got to drive home in peace and quiet and come home to a quiet house with sleeping kids. Not too bad a deal really.
So, now we have this week to wait our turn to drive to Canada. I am FREAKING OUT HERE about the drive. I have this crazy thought of being stopped by the border police and they demand all sorts of letters and authorizations and they want to know why I'm traveling with my kids and no husband and when they ask where he is, I'll tell them he's hiking the Sinai Peninsula in Canada because I'll be so nervous I'll forgot the real name of the peninsula. In reality, I'm sure it will be fine, but just in case, I have all sorts of notarized letters saying I can have the van (not in my name, but Chris'), the kids and I have piles of important papers like birth certificates. I have them all neatly organized (my friend calls it Monkish, after the character Monk) and ready to produce to the border guards, protecting Canada from Moms driving minivans full of loud, tired, cranky kids.
So, now we have this week to wait our turn to drive to Canada. I am FREAKING OUT HERE about the drive. I have this crazy thought of being stopped by the border police and they demand all sorts of letters and authorizations and they want to know why I'm traveling with my kids and no husband and when they ask where he is, I'll tell them he's hiking the Sinai Peninsula in Canada because I'll be so nervous I'll forgot the real name of the peninsula. In reality, I'm sure it will be fine, but just in case, I have all sorts of notarized letters saying I can have the van (not in my name, but Chris'), the kids and I have piles of important papers like birth certificates. I have them all neatly organized (my friend calls it Monkish, after the character Monk) and ready to produce to the border guards, protecting Canada from Moms driving minivans full of loud, tired, cranky kids.
Comments